Newton Youth Hockey: Sprites/Learn to Play
Introducing the Sprites/Learn to Play program for the 2018-2019 season!
You spoke, we listened! Additionally, we REDUCED the cost of the program significantly from $625 to $550! This program encompasses NYH's Learn to Play program with an In-House atmosphere as the Sprites season progresses. The primary goal of the NYH Sprites/Learn to Play program is to create an environment that engenders confidence and an interest in hockey. All of the drills are designed to generate as much fun as possible while learning the core hockey skills and techniques. Participants skate twice per week (once on Saturday and once on Sunday). One day will be for drills and skills development while the other day will be dedicated to scrimmages. Saturday sessions are run with Watertown.
We will begin the program with a concentration on skills development on both Saturdays and Sundays. In January, we will start to break off into teams on Saturdays. Each team will practice a drill for the first 15 minutes of their session. This format allows them to warm-up while still developing their hockey skills. For the remainder of the practice, the teams will play Newton versus Watertown! The games will be played in a cross-ice setting and are designed to utilize the skills learned on Sundays. There will be no scores or records kept. The focus is to provide a setting to learn a game environment and, more importantly, to develop teamwork and camaraderie.
The Sprites/Learn to Play is open to skaters from ages 6-10. If you have a skater outside these years wanting to participate, please
, to receive clearance to participate. Your skater will be placed in 1 of 2 sessions (time slots) on Saturdays based on their age. Unfortunately, based on the structure of the Learn to Play program, we cannot accommodate changes, exceptions, or requests.
The schedule for 2018-2019 Sprites/Learn to Play season:
Cost: $550.00, which includes a $30 non-refundable registration fee. There will be a $25 late fee applied to registrations after November 9. USA Hockey registration is required before registering for this program.
Follow this link to register with USA Hockey
Prerequisite: Skaters should have mastered the basics of skating (backwards and hockey stops are not necessary), be completely independent and capable of freely maneuvering around the ice.
The core program for the Learn to Play program is developed and implemented by Newton Youth Hockey. However, successful delivery of the program requires parent participation. We need help on the ice coordinating the skaters, setting up and running drills and helping teach and demonstrate the specific skills. To learn more about how you can help or stay informed, please
Lisa Casillo, VP of Intramurals.
- MANDATORY: All skaters must wear a CCHA/HECC HOCKEY Helmet with mask (look on the back for the CCHA/HECC sticker). Neither parent nor child will be allowed on the ice without the helmet with mask. Please put your child's name on the front of the helmet so our volunteer coaches can personalize your participant's experience in the program.
- All skaters MUST wear a full set of hockey equipment: elbow pads, shoulder pads, athletic supporter (if necessary), hockey pants, shin guards, hockey skates, and hockey goves.
- Hockey sticks are required. The top of the hockey stick should be between the nose and chin when the child is standing up WITH the skates on. If the hockey stick is too big or too small, the drills/games will hinder the child's skills development.
- Though not required, the program encourages all skaters to use a "neck guard." Neck guards can be purchased at most sporting goods stores.
- We recommend dressing in this order: athletic supporter/cup, knee/shin pads, socks (garter belt), pants, skates, chest pad, elbow pads, jersey, HECC approved helmet, gloves and a stick.
- We do not advise wearing equipment big enough “to grow into”—proper fitting equipment will ensure your child’s safety, comfort, and ease of movement.
Please email your questions to